Music

Introduction

Music allows students to develop skills through performing, composing, listening and appraising with a clear focus on practical music.

Students learn on a variety of musical instruments and work as part of an ensemble as well as an individual within the class.

Students need to study a broad range of musical styles such as pop, classical, baroque, reggae and rap to name a few. This helps explore the elements of music in many different style which prepares them for taking a music GCSE if they wish to.

Here at Cecil Jones Academy we have a very strong extra-curricular program. We have over 50 students who attend our clubs on a weekly basis. These clubs include; choir, year 7 choir, keyboard club, guitar lessons, piano lessons and drumming lessons. We also have a Saturday school which teaches students other instruments such as violin, trumpet and cello to name a few! Our choir has recently placed 5th in the regional finals of The Jack Petchey Glee Club Challenge where we were ranked above many performing arts schools. We continue to grow and compete in many competitions throughout the country.

Our subject area seeks to develop the following in all our students:

  1. Performing
  2. Composing
  3. Listening and Appraising
  • Areas of study covered in KS3: The elements of music, the orchestra, scales, reading music, musicals, rock n roll, reggae, rap, pop, world music
  • Homework expectations (hours and completion standards): 1 hour of homework is set each week. This homework will vary from practical to written
  • Trips and Visits: We often take our students to musicals having most recently visited Matilda in Westend
  • Out of class opportunities (Clubs): Choir, keyboard club, guitar lessons, drumming lessons, piano lessons

How can I support my child at home? Having a keyboard at home is always a great way to embed all skills learned in lessons. SMHW is updated weekly with what students need to complete that week.

  • Areas of study covered in KS4: Composing, Performing, Listening and Appraising
  • Specification details (web address): Music GCSE OCR – https://www.ocr.org.uk/qualifications/gcse/music-j536-from-2016/
  • Course component breakdown: Students will complete two compositions, one solo performance and one ensemble performance. This practical area makes up 60% of the overall GCSE grade. The other 40% is based on listening and appraising.
  • Homework expectations (hours and completion standards): 1 hour of homework is set each week. This homework will vary from practical to written
  • Trips and Visits: We often take our students to musicals having most recently visited Matilda in Westend. Students will also have the opportunity to visit some of the leading music university’s in the country such as the Royal Birmingham Conservatoire.

Rehearsals at home. Using the stretch and challenge practical booklet. Ensuring students complete all homework set. Supporting concerts and music evenings run by the academy.

Rehearsals at home. Using the stretch and challenge practical booklet. Ensuring students complete all homework set. Uisng past papers to ensure students are familiar with exam style questions.