- Sixth Form
- Higher education - UCAS
Higher education - UCAS
Staff at Cecil Jones Academy understand that choosing the right course at a suitable university is one of the biggest challenges for any young person preparing to leave school. The school works tirelessly to ensure that students have the necessary support and guidance to gain a place at a university of choice. Over the years, our students have gained places to study medicine, dentistry and to study at either Oxford or Cambridge. We have a strong commitment to independent advice and guidance and through the pastoral system our learners are supported in making the right choices for further study through UCAS or work related pathways.
Documentation to support parents/guardians and students is located below.
Visit the UCAS web page for guides on what you need to do next – UCAS
This is a really useful website to help you with your application for University – Studential
For help with writing your Personal Statements, this section of the website is good too! – Personal Statement Help
You should be starting to look at Universities and finding out what courses are on offer. When you look at the courses they will indicate the Entry Requirements. In some cases, they are shown as grades, for example ABB, in other cases they are shown as points, for example 200 points. So, do you know what points are awarded for A level?
Do you know what you want to study at University? You can take the Stamford Test to find out the courses that are suited to you.
You will need to start visiting Universities that you are going to apply for.
Click HERE to find out when the Open Days are.
Writing a Personal Statement
- My Personal Statement
- My UCAS Personal Statement
- Personal Statement Worksheet
- Writing an Effective Personal Statement
Where do you start?
- Why you have chosen the course/s you have selected;
- The reason the subject interests you;
- Evidence that you understand what is required to study the course;
- Aspects of your current studies related to the course/s you have chosen;
- Details of jobs, placements, work experience or voluntary work which you have undertaken, particularly if it has relevance to your chosen field;
- Hobbies/interests/social activities that show you are a well rounded student;
- Details of non-accredited qualifications: e.g. Duke of Edinburgh;
- Other achievements you are proud of, e.g. reaching grade 3 in piano;
- Positions of responsibility both in and out of school;
- Attributes that make you special, interesting or unique;
- Whether you have any future plans you have of how you want to use the knowledge and experience that you gain at university.
|Autumn Term||Register with www.yougofurther.com|
|Spring Term||Research courses and universities (Look for Open Days)|
|Write first draft of personal statement|
|Summer term||Register with UCAS and start the application form|
|Students hoping to apply for Oxbridge, Medicine, Dentistry or Veterinary degrees write personal statements|
|August||Students finalise their choices of courses and universities|
|September||Personal statements completed and upload onto their application form.|
|Mid-October||Closing Date for Oxbridge, Medicine, Dentistry or Veterinary degrees|
|Half Term||All students finish their UCAS application form and ‘send to referee’ for checking|
|Tutors complete references and forward to Sixth Form staff|
|Early December||Students make corrections to UCAS forms, school references are added and they are sent to universities|
|Offers are received by early applicants|
|Mid-January||Last date for ‘in time’ applications|
|February||Students finalise their applications and portfolios for some Art and Design courses|
|UCAS Extra starts (students who have no offers or reject all their offers can make new applications)|
|March||Most students have received offers. Start finance applications.|
|Choose ‘Firm’ and ‘Insurance’ offers and reject others|
|Early May||Final date for replies by students who received all their offers by 31st March (‘Firm’ and ‘Insurance’ choices)|
|Early July||Final date for all replies to offers|
|Mid-August||Results day – university places are confirmed on ‘Track’|
|‘Clearing’ opens for unsuccessful students|
|October||University courses start|